The English language lacks two words no one should have to go through life without. And what words might that be? Glad you asked. Well, one of these words is the word ‘klockrent’. This excellent Swedish word has no counterpart in English language. To explain it is therefore slightly complicated; the easiest was is to compare it to the word brilliant. Though, I’m sure you are aware, that brilliant is not a brilliant word. And also you know how awkward is indeed an awkward word (or at the very least has an awkward spelling)? Well, klockrent is a klockrent word and therefore more brilliant than the word brilliant. With me so far?
I entertain myself with teaching this word to friends on the internet so that I can use it since there is no word for it in any other language I know (and I do know a few, at least the basics). So when, for example, in a conversation someone says something that’s just brilliant and spot on, well, then it’s simply klockrent. It’s used sort of the same way as the expression “epic win.” And that’s basically what klockrent is. Only more klockrent.
The crash course on how to use ‘klockrent’:
Pronouns
I am klockren
You are klockren
He/she is klockren
It is klockrent
We are klockrena
They are klockrena
Nouns
Klockrent is an adjective and in Swedish it’ll be either ‘klockren’ or ‘klockrent’ depending on if the noun is a neuter noun or something called a utrum noun(since we don’t have the categories masculine or feminine nouns anymore). And if the noun is a neuter noun (ends with ‘t’ or 'et' in definite form) it would be ‘klockrent’ while if the noun is an untrum noun (ends with ‘n’, ‘en’ or 'an' in definite form) it’d be ‘klockren’.
Ex: Samtalet är klockrent. (The conversation is klockrent).
Kommentaren var så klockren. (The comment was so klockren).
This is applied to nouns in both definite and indefinite form that are in singular. (For all nouns that are in plural the word ‘klockrena’ applies without exception.)
Unfortunately the English’s ‘a’ and ‘an’ doesn’t correspond to the Swedish ‘en’ and ‘ett’ (which decides if a noun is a neuter or utrum noun and thus if ‘klockren’ or ‘klockrent’ should be used). So I suppose one could either choose to use klockren with ‘a’ and klockrent with ‘an’ (or vice versa) or simply pick one and always use that one regardless since, unless one knows Swedish grammar, there really is no way of telling which version of the word that should be applied.
Now you’ve been educated and equipped with the basic knowledge needed to make use of this most excellent word. But you may say, now hold on a minute! Didn’t I read “two words” at the beginning of all this? What a scam! I demand the second word! And to that I can only reply, well, I don’t have much to write about and if you’re reading this you most likely desperately need to kill time. So I’m saving the other word for another entry. Meanwhile, have fun using klockrent!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
FINALLY! A blog update!
I've been getting on here every time I'm online waiting for an update x]
You are most klockrent, my dear hifty holch.
-shifty-
ily -tacklehugs-
I miss a word like "lagom" in the English language. Very good word.
Post a Comment