Monday, April 20, 2015

Shut Up About My Tits

I am sick and tired of comments regarding my breasts or behind. And I am especially tired of comments that reduce me to only parts of my body. 

It's not a compliment. I don't want to hear a word about my tits or ass. I wouldn't want a remark even if I was trying to flaunt it, I want remarks even less when I am so obviously trying to dress to not accentuate it.

This weekend I was helping, well, friends to fix their house and yard. Among other things I helped carrying a pile of wood (big logs, really) from one place to another so that they would be closer to the wood-chopper. Two others were helping out as well, an adolescent woman and an adolescent man. In three hours they had moved maybe 10 logs. I moved the entire pile in maybe 1h and 30min. The man complianed that I made him look bad, that he didn't look manly because I carried more and I did it all that much quicker. 

Things like that pissed me off.

He was a lazy and physically weak kinda person, I am efficient and physically strong. End of story.

I am not 'strong for a girl'. I am just strong. Everyone's expressed surprise pisses me off. He was a slouch and I am a karate brown belt and ex-military, who the fuck seems more likely to carry heavy logs in an efficient way? I hate when people don't see it like this but only see that he's a guy and see me as a chick and by default he, as a man, is stronger. It pisses me off how they completely disregard everything else in the equation. Everything that actually matters.

The other thing that pissed me off was that once I was done and the, hm, friend I was helping was telling me he was glad that I was helping and that I moved the wood so quickly. But then he explains how he and his guy friends found it so amusing that the guy moving the wood looked to weak and slow compared to me and that it was hilarious. And he said that 'you, a little chick, carries a huge log on her shoulder, titts and ass jutting out like some bikini-model, and he's just slouching around with his bad posture'.

I could have punched him in the face right then and there.

Leave my body parts the fuck out of the conversation. 

Have you noticed that the girl wasn't mentioned once? Because no one was surprised or amused that I, who am physically fit, did a better job than her, who isn't. 

And this is why I am upset.

I would appreciate it if people wouldn't assume that women are weak or that men are stronger by some sort of default.

I would appreciate if my breasts or my bum isn't ever irrelevantly mentioned.

I would appreciate, as a genderqueer person, not to be called 'her'.

It really isn't that much to ask for. 

'Till next time, up on the barricades my friends, the last frontier, because if not now, when? Make it count, go, go!

No comments: