Saturday, July 12, 2008

“Don’t play with Matches”

We all know that we shouldn't play with Matches. We might burn the house down. Or accidentally set the cat on fire. But little rebel teens didn't always listen to mom dearest's warnings. It's not really about the house though. And not about the cat (even if roasting it was most unfortunate). It's about her child getting burned.

I thought my matches were magical. That they'd burn if not forever then at least for decades. And I waved away warnings - my matches would never burn me! Recently one of The Matches went out though. Flickered and faded away.

I didn't let go until it burned my fingers and I had to drop it. I had rather held on to it but it just wasn't possible. I had to let go.

And even after getting burned I have three matches left that I'm holding on to. Some might think I should have learned. But rebel teens grow up to be unorthodox adults. And so we hold on; believing in what others may say is stupid or naive.

Now I do anything I can to shield my matches from strong winds and I do what I can to shelter them from high water. And even if, in the end, I get burned again it doesn't matter. My matches are magical. And I can't just let go of them and watch them burn out.

The concerned mother was right; The Matches did start a fire. And if everything goes the way we all hope nothing or no one will ever put it out.

No comments: