Sunday, November 8, 2009

This Year

This year Halloween was quite different from last. This year I decorated as usually, with the same decorations. This year I looked up potential places to celebrate. This year I went to the same place as last year.

This year, however, I went with my boyfriend, meet friends I didn't know a year ago, celebrated at another place as well, didn't have the adventures that tend to happen to me when not in company.

The day before Halloween we decided to head to the indeed only place in this tiny town of ours where Halloween is even remotely close to being celebrated. There is no denying I do posses some skills to, well, technically nag I suppose, but convince others of the greatness of my ideas. This time my great idea was that I went dressed up as a guy and my boyfriend went as a girl. In a way we reached a compromise of sorts as he refused to wear a stuffed bra and I was not allowed to go as something that wasn't scary (though who would not consider Shawn Harris scary? My point exactly!). And so he went as a 13-year-old zombie-girl - the age explaining the no-boobs - and I went as the ghost of Shawn Harris from the E.Von Dahl Killed The Locals era.

I came up with the idea since the ones we are is never a constant matter. We are always and forever changing, growing, evolving- and never stay the same. Though, but!, we do keep the essence of our being. Even so, however, we will never be as we were any give year. So the Shawn existing during that particular era has, in a way, ceased to be. But there is a memory and an imprint of him that lasts. This entity that remains you can see as, well, a ghost as you will.

Besides, I didn't want to have to go through the trouble of having to come up with a new costume as I had decided whom to dress up as months ago.

And so we went. Surprisingly we where the first to get in line and the first to be let inside. That was quite a shock, I will admit. Never have I been the first to enter as any club opens its doors for the night. Oh, well, the good thing was that there was no que to the toilets - and no one looking oddly at me for being in the wrong place.

After a while we saw two familiar faces - it was one of our best friends and a friend of hers. Without them we probably would have left long before closing time. The Halloween theme hadn't been grasped by most of the party-people; there were only so many in any form of costume. It did bum me out, I will not lie, but the decorations, the fog machine (of which I would love to have one myself, it picks any party up a notch) and the company made it into a rather worthwhile evening after all. In ways better than last years adventures.

Next day there was a Halloween pub night in the little village where my partner in crime comes from. We were asked by a friend of ours to attend. We did not really dressed up this day, whoever, which, I know!, was a shame seeing as almost everyone had. Well, save for most teenagers. But they may be excused seeing as we all know how terrible it is for any teenager - their world might end - if they do something as embarrassing as dress up!

Though I didn't really dress up, with my mohawk and my kilt-like skirt with a sort of black spiderweb fabric attached to it I looked somewhat Halloween-ish.

The pub night was really nice and cozy as close-knit communities parties tend to be. A local band of old men played, there was a price to be won for best costume and there were nice people.

This year wasn't really all that exiting. This year not much out of the ordinary happened. This year was a nice and neat Halloween.

But this year I know for sure that it was a Happy Halloween.



No comments: